Saturday, January 24, 2009

Happy New Year of the Cow! 牛年新年快樂!

As many of you know, the piano is the most important tool I have for expressing myself.
大家都知道鋼琴是我表達自己最重要的工具。

The most important moments I've spent expressing myself, have been when I and the piano are alone.
當我獨自面對鋼琴時,是我表達自我最重要的時刻。

These experiences are meditation for me. They are the source of much inspiration, and the most precious moments of composition.
這些經驗讓我思考。它們是靈感的來源,是作曲最珍貴的時刻。

A small scale piano or electronic piano do not have the ability to inspire, and so due to financial limitations in my youth, and later my traveling lifestyle, it was never possible for me to own a piano of truly inspiring scale.
一架小鋼琴或電子琴無法讓我產生靈感,加上我年輕時的經濟狀況與之後的旅行生活模式,根本不可能擁有一架大到可以真正啟發靈感的鋼琴。

As a composer, there have been so many times when I would visit music instruments stores, or sneak around music universities and theaters and recording studios, in hopes of finding a concert-scale grand piano and express myself alone.
生為作曲家,我常去樂器行,或偷偷到音樂大學、戲院和錄音室,就只是希望可以找到一台演奏會規模般的大鋼琴來表達我自己。

When I was successful in finding a piano, tears would flow just as the music flowed from my heart through my fingers and into the piano. And this energy would then come back from the deep well within the piano, to telling me where the music should flow next.
當我如願找到這樣的鋼琴,當音樂從我心中傳到我的手指再注入琴鍵,淚水泛滿我的眼眶。這股能量透過鋼琴湧現,告訴我下一個音符的流動。

And this is how I have often composed my music, in hiding and in secret.
我平常就是這樣創作我的音樂,隱蔽而且秘密。

As a professional performer, the only opportunity I had to develop my skills on the piano was when I was preparing for a concert tour. But this did not provide me the opportubuty to improve my skills as a pianist, or to achieve my true potential.
生為專業的表演者,我只有在準備音樂會時,才有機會精進我的鋼琴演奏技能。但對一個鋼琴家來說,這並不能提升我的演奏技巧或發揮我的潛能。

But now all this has changed.
但現在已經改變了。

On January 21, a Yamaha C7 arrived at my Taipei music studio. This is certainly one of the most important purchases I have ever made, and signals a new era in my creative life.
一月二十一號,我的台北音樂室裡多了一架山葉C7鋼琴。這絕對是我所買的東西裡最重要的,也代表我展新的創作生活要開始了。

I wish to thank Yamaha Taiwan for their support. For ten years they have supplied pianos for my performances in Taiwan -- sometimes in very unusual and remote places! But the support they have provided with this new piano has been so touching!
我非常感謝台灣山葉公司的支持。這十年來,他們提供鋼琴,讓我在台灣表演--即使是在非常奇怪、偏遠的地方!而他們提供這台新鋼琴支持我,真的非常窩心!

11 hours before the piano arrived, I was watching the inauguration speech of President Obama. I had voted for him during the election, and I continue to feel hopeful when I hear him speak.
鋼琴抵達前11個小時,我正在看歐巴瑪總統的就職演說。選舉期間我投給他一票,聽著他演講,我感覺到希望。

It is this new sense of hope for the new year and for our future in this world, that is underscored by the arrival of this piano.
是一種對新年和世界未來的全新感受和希望,隨著鋼琴的到來,強烈觸動著我。

I am looking forward to applying myself to creating new works which inspire change for a better world.
我期盼自己創作新的作品,喚起大家做些改變,讓世界更美好。

I wish you all a happy, loving and rewarding new year of the cow!
祝福大家有個快樂、充滿愛和意義的新牛年!

Matthew (MaShow)
馬修

No comments:

Post a Comment